Thursday, September 16, 2010

Sweet corn jelly mooncakes

It was Monday, and my off day. So I planned to make some jelly mooncakes since Mooncake Festival is just around the corner. After refering recipe online, I intended to make dragon fruit jelly mooncakes, unfortunately, I couldnt find any dragon fruits in the morning market :(

So end up, I made the sweet corn jelly mooncakes.
Ingredients as follow:-

Jelly egg yolk :
(A)
-1/2 tbsp jelly powder
-350ml water
-50g fine granulated sugar
-1/2 teaspoon salt
-1 teaspoon instant jelly powder
-4 pandan leaves (knotted)

(B)
-2 tbsp evaporated milk
-1/8 teaspoon orange colouring

Filling C (for middle layer):
-200g sweet corn paste
-100g sweet corn in can
-1 tbsp jelly powder
-250ml water
-60g fine granulated sugar (I used castor sugar)
-1 teaspoon instant jelly powder

Filling D (for middle layer):
-100ml concentrated coconut milk
-100ml Milk

Filling E (for mooncake skin):
-300g sweet corn paste
-200g sweet corn in can
-3 tbsp jelly powder
-750ml water
-110g fine granulated sugar
-3/4 tbsp instant jelly powder



besides the ingredients stated above, I bought an egg mould, and 2 jelly mooncake moulds

First, prepare the egg yolk. Mix everything in ingredients A, keep stiring. Then add in B.


Pour the mixture into the egg mould until full. Close the lid and let it cold for a while before keeping in fridge for at least 40 mins. Must make sure the time is enough for the egg yolks to be formed completely.


When the egg yolks are ready, start preparing the middle layer. Mix everything in ingredients C, followed by D.


the egg yolks, some are not fully formed though :P Remove the egg yolk using a toothpick.


Pour the mixture into smaller mould, until 1/4 full. Let them sit for a while, then place egg yolk in the middle, continue to pour the mixture until it fully covers the egg yolk ( I miss calculate the time, so the egg yolk is not fully covered =_=) Next, keep the mould in fridge for about 20 mins (I call this the middle layer mooncake)
When the middle layer mooncake is ready, start preparing the mooncake skin. Mix everything in E and keep stiring. Pour into the a bigger mould about 1/4 full, let it cold for a while, then place the middle layer jelly in the middle. Continue to pour the mixture until its fully covered.

Like this. place the mould into the fridge for about 20 mins and you're almost done!

tada! some of the nice one which I managed to do.. The texture and taste is there, just that the egg yolk is abit salty, haha :P


the close up...

Jelly mooncakes are not hard to make, but it requires alot of patience as you'll need to wait and prepare layer by layer. I'm planning to do somemore, may be next week ;)
I hope you enjoy reading and share with me your attempt!

19 comments:

  1. Your jelly mooncake is really special and yummy! Thanks for the treat and am looking forward for more types!

    ReplyDelete
  2. really nice leh!!thumb up for you~ hope i got chance to taste it... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yvonne, thank you for being my guinea pig! :P
    I wish to do somemore, must find tht times!

    Evelyn, haha thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome attempt. Very nice la! Thanks for the treat. When are going to make other flavours one? Heheheh!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yan, thank you thank you!
    With you guys' compliment, I'm more confident in the next attempt liao ^_*

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, you are really good. those mooncakes look delish.

    ReplyDelete
  7. waaa. u really have patient of a saint to bake those thing. lol. well maybe i am the one who is too lazy to attempt any adventure in kitchen. lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. goldflower86, thanks! Actually I'm not that hardworking all the time.. it was just the sudden arising mood which triggers me to do it.. LOL :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! Your jelly mooncakes are so pretty. I bet they are very delicious too. I've never seen jelly mooncakes with "egg yolk". Very innovative indeed! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. ChloeRuoyi, thank you!
    I actually refered to recipe online.. hehe...^^

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jen, haha, thanks! Actually still learning..

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, you're a pro chef lar! xD I love your jelly mooncakes~ *Drooling* ^^

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello! I know this is sort of off-topic but I needed to ask.

    Does building a well-established website such as yours take a large amount of work?
    I am brand new to operating a blog however I do write in my diary everyday.

    I'd like to start a blog so I can easily share my own experience and thoughts online. Please let me know if you have any suggestions or tips for new aspiring blog owners. Appreciate it!

    Here is my web blog; luxe vakantiehuizen

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for the auspicious writeup. It in truth was once a
    enjoyment account it. Glance complicated to more delivered agreeable from
    you! However, how can we keep up a correspondence?

    Review my blog; vakantiehuis

    ReplyDelete
  15. What's up it's me, I am also visiting this web site on a regular basis, this site
    is in fact good and the visitors are truly sharing
    good thoughts.

    Have a look at my webpage - luxe vakantiehuis frankrijk huren ()

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's truly very complex in this full of activity life to listen news on Television, so I just use internet for that reason, and obtain the most up-to-date news.

    Feel free to surf to my web-site: frankrijk vakantiehuisjes **

    ReplyDelete
  17. WOW! This is really an amazing and attractive post. I appreciate your posted wonderful photos. Thanks for sharing such an interesting post.

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts! (But strictly no advertisements please)