Saturday, January 8, 2011

To all contact lens users

Few days ago I read an article shared by a friend in FB, it's found that there're 30 over worms grow in a girl's eyes who wear contact lens for a prolong period! :0

I'm a contact lens user for about 9 years, and 2-3 years ago I started to invest in colored lens. For all this while, I'm aware of the pros and cons of contacts, 2 main things I practice the most is to clean the lens properly and never wear contacts to sleep. As contact lens is getting more and more common, I'd like to share some infor with you...

*details taken from CIBA vision*

Contact lenses are subject to a build-up of micro-organisms and deposits. If not removed, these deposits and absorbed materials can build up on the lens surface which over time may result in the reduction of comfort and vision as well as an increased risk of contamination.

Tap water contains chlorine, minerals and metal particles, which can damage both the lenses and the eye. So they should not be used for rinsing or storing lenses.

The Five Most Important Things to Know about Lens Care

1.Cleaning and Disinfection
Cleaning and disinfecting are important to kill micro-organisms responsible for eye infections. Follow the manufacturer's instructions carefully for proper contact lens cleaning and disinfection.


2.Storage
Contact lenses must be stored in a proper lens case and in solutions approved for contact lens storage.

3.Re-wetting
Use drops approved for re-wetting contact lenses as needed to alleviate symptoms of lens dryness. This is not an actual lens care step, but can be used for extra comfort.

4.The Lens Case
Data indicate that lens cases are a significant source of microbial contamination. Proper lens case cleaning and frequent case replacement are essential for minimizing the risk of contamination. Always follow the directions on the packaging insert for detailed instructions on cleaning and storing your lens case. Cases should be replaced at least every three months.

5.Replacement Schedule
Different lenses are made out of different materials. Because each material performs differently, manufacturers recommend a replacement schedule for each type of lens to allow for optimal performance of the lens. Most lenses worn today are intended to be replaced on a frequent basis. Typical replacement frequencies include one day, 1 to 2 weeks and one month.

21 comments:

  1. I preferred to wear specs, less hassled. haha.. I wore those once a day contact before though but only on occasions like playing badminton. Most of the time now, I just wore specs, it look better on me too. :P
    DO take care of the contact lens and don't let it spoilt your eyes or why not do Lasik? Heard that it's just a very very short procedure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the info! Damn scary!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Hayley, I've hear about what you posted here.
    Real scary!
    As well used to see, even help people look for their fallen lens.
    Not for me! Rather have my glasses.

    Even my wife too, advised her not to.
    But there are girls who look very nice with glasses too.
    You have a nice day, Lee.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely too leceh for a super-lazy person like me haha. I prefer to just wear specs :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm also using contact lense. Thanks for sharing. Maybe should consider lasik already. :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am lucky to have perfect eyesight. But I did try color lens before. I agree with you, if you want to wear contact lens, it's a must you take good care of your hygiene.

    Nice sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. ChrisAu, I know about LASIK, but doubt about how effective it is?

    AngelineBK, welcome!

    Lee, I agree. As long as we find the right frame for our face shape, everyone will look nice with glasses too!

    ChloeRuoyi, yeah, I wear specs most of the time ;)

    Mummy Gwen, you're most welcome ;)

    YT, yea I'm super envy for those who have perfect eyesight! Save time, save money too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey, until today I still do not dare to wear coloured contact lenses due to the above concerns.

    I'll just rely on Photoshop to change the colour of my pupils lar but I love my original brown pupils~ ^^

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow... that's a shocking news, imagining gems growing in eyes! Thanks for sharing and have a wonderful week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Erika, ya, better to be safe than sorry ;)

    Alice, damn scary right! :0

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for sharing this. Will remember to replace case frequently now.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm planning to try contact lens because long hours of spec makes my eyes watery and tired. But after reading the scary worms which is breeding in our eyes turns me off.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yvonne, but as long as you practise the cleanliness steps, it should not be a problem la~

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi gal,

    Proper cleanliness really a must in wearing contact lens. I wore contact lens for 4 years and few years back, my eyes infected with germs which caused redness, dry eyes and itchiness and force me to wear specs again and no longer can wear any contact lens. And spec makes me look more ugly and inconvenient, so I went to LASIK two years ago, and so far the result still satisfying.

    I believe that you always maintain contact lens cleanliness properly, so it won't be a big issue for you.

    Good day!

    ReplyDelete
  15. YY, well, glad to hear that your LASIK is fine until now ;)
    I've not overcome my fear to do the LASIK yet =_=

    ReplyDelete
  16. my last pair of glasses were lost in the Philippine Islands years ago... My doctor said never give me contacts... Thank you likewise for stopping by my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  17. that's scary. have you consider laser surgery?

    ReplyDelete
  18. My dokter said that he could not get m,e to keep my eyes open longh enough to do a glaucoma test. He said me learning to put on contacts is a lost cause. LOL.

    As for the glasses... I should stop losing thing 7,000 miles from home

    ReplyDelete
  19. Johnnie L, I dont have the guts to do the laser surgery.... =_=

    Keith, dont give up... ;)

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts! (But strictly no advertisements please)