Sunday, June 30, 2013

Banana chocolate mille crepe

It's actually 'half failed half success' mille crepe, haha! Half failed because of the look (which you'll see later, but please don't laugh ya!), half success because of the taste.

I've been wanting to make mille crepe since some times ago but keep on delaying because of the tedious works on frying the crepes one by one. But my recent strong baking mojo had made me doing it at last.

Here are the ingredients needed:

For the crepe:
2 eggs (room temperature)
100g cake flour
2 tbsp granulated sugar
2 tbsp melted butter
250ml milk (room temperature)
Few drops of vanilla essence

For the fillings: (There' re actually lots of options for the fillings, I adopted the easiest one)
250g fresh cream
2 tbsp sugar
Nutella
3 large bananas

Steps:
1. Sieve the flour in a bowl.
2. Add sugar, eggs and mix well.
3. Add half the milk, butter and mix well again.
4. Strain the batter to remove lumps.
5. Add the other half of milk, vanilla and mix well.
6. Cover with plastic wrap and leave at room temperature for about 30 mins.
7. Pour a ladleful of batter onto non stick pan and fry. The thinner the crepe, the better.
8. Continue to cook til all the batter is finished.
9. Leave the crepes til cool.






Pardon for the out-of-shape crepes, haha! 


For the fillings:
1. Beat fresh cream with sugar on top of a bowl of ice and beat til it forms a soft peak.
2. Add in mashed bananas. Set aside.



To assemble the crepes:
1. Take one layer of the crepe, spread Nutella.
2. Take another layer of the crepe, spread the banana cream.
3. Repeat til you have use all the crepes.
4. Cover with a plastic wrap, put into fridge for about an hour before cut.




So here's my virgin attempt with mille crepe! Can't achieve good layering because of the mashed bananas inside. 

Despite the ugly looks, I can say my mille crepe taste good though! My friend commented that looks can be improved later on, the most important thing is that it taste good! Yep I agree on this! ^o^
The crepes taste even better the next day, honestly I love it! So as my parents and hubs. But I know I shall practise more to achieve both the taste and look ;)

60 comments:

  1. 你真的很有耐心一层一层的煎吔~~
    第一次做已经很不错了,最重要是好吃啊!!!

    我这个山芭佬还没有吃过千层糕,呵呵~~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 对咯,真的很靠耐心啊!第一二片甚至不能用丢掉~

      Delete
  2. wow..so yummy! You are good at making it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy!! That's one great effort and nice post up on the recipe. I'm gonna show it to my mom so she can learn some of this in her free time. Great effort!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Practice makes perfect =) next round will be better

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like some kind of sandwich... LOL!!! Never mind! Keep trying, you'll get it right someday. Hehehehehe!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. No worry lar, for me it looks like pancakes. Never mind... Try more, you can do it one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. certainly needs a lot of time as well as patience to make your own mille crepe.. no wonder they are selling more expensive out there huh?? guess must be the tediousness that cost..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, expensive on the efforts and patience~

      Delete
  8. hahaha, banana nutella!! hmmmm, that is a great combination huh?? i think despite the look, it still taste good right?? can't go any wrong lah, i guess.. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, taste good!
      Banana and chocolate, perfect combo!

      Delete
  9. at first looking at the photo, i didn't know you were attempting to make your own mille crepe, i thought you were just stacking up your pancakes!! muahahahaha, pardon me, my bad~~ :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha it's ok, it does looks like pancakes!

      Delete
  10. hmmm, the layering wasn't good?? maybe you need to place some heavy object on top while leaving it in the fridge?? then the pressure will compress the layers of crepes and maybe will come out nicer?? hmmm, just my theoretical thoughts lah~~ :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Err no need one, the reason why I can't get good layering is because of the mashed bananas.

      Delete
  11. Well done Hayley. Although it look not 100% prefect, but keep it up and practice it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I heard making this crepe very "siew hei" one wor..have to be precise else it tak jadi.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. but from the photo i see not bad la. at least can still eat.

      Delete
    2. I dare not make coz am sure mine will end up in tongsampah LOL

      Delete
    3. Haha yea, quite siew hei one! :p

      Yep looks ugly but taste nice!

      Haha I also have the thinking before I started making the mille crepes!

      Delete
  13. 很强的你!!!!!厉害!!!好吃就好!^^
    我完全放弃了!多步骤麻烦不简单,我真的放弃了!我要吃!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 嗯,谢谢你的鼓励哦!
      等我学会了,courier 给你蛤 xD

      Delete
  14. 煎过火了是吗?
    我看到很多人在做这个了!!
    但是要一层一层煎我还真的没耐心!!厉害!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Err 没有煎过火耶!

      真的要很有耐心,还有技巧~

      Delete
  15. Bravo for the effort. It's not easy making crepe. I agree that the taste is more important than the look.

    ReplyDelete
  16. 我也是对一层一层的东西缺乏耐心。。。哈哈
    吃你放入就好了。。

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 哈哈,你是说能放进嘴巴吃就好了吗?;)

      Delete
    2. 哎呀,什么鬼typo...我是说吃你做的就好了!

      Delete
    3. 哦哈哈是咯我也奇怪你 type 什么 :p

      Delete
  17. It is not easy to make thin, perfect crepes...at least you gave it a good try and the taste was good ;) Nutella and banana sounds really delicious to me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right Chloe's mum, it's not easy.

      Yep, banana goes so well with chocolate!!

      Delete
  18. oh man...you are making me so hungry now! you mille crepe look so delish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Barb!

      Btw, I am having difficulties commenting on your blog lately!! Whatever I typed gone missing after I hit 'submit'!! >=(

      Delete
  19. 你最近常下厨,你哈比有口福哦!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 哈哈谢谢!
      不过我比较喜欢烘焙,而他就比较喜欢吃家常便饭~

      Delete
  20. People look for inner beauty.. and in this case, the taste! So as long as the taste is great, nothing else matters.. :)
    I sure wouldnt mind tasting your mille crepe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha high 5! We got the same thinking!!

      Delete
  21. This is your first time doing mille crepe, right, Hayley? I find that if it's for personal dining, the texture or appearance don't quite matter; it's the taste that counts. =D

    As the idiom goes, practice makes perfect. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep first attempt!
      Haha yea totally agree!

      Delete
  22. 这个我之前玩过,内馅是奶油卡士达,好吃是好吃!可是饼皮一片一片煎超级费功夫,玩过一次后就收起了食谱。现在有小孩后更加时间不够用,基本上越简单的食谱越适合我~^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 对,是很费功夫不过真的好吃咧!

      Delete
  23. This cake is my favourite and not many shops sell this in KL. They are so hard to make, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your cake looked like a disaster to you but I think it has a touch of home-kitchen baking! Nice and appetizing lah! If you serve me, I also happy liao lah.

      Delete
    2. If you had used a knife to slice off the edges of 4 sides neatly into a perfect square, it would look perfect!

      Delete
    3. Yea it's my favorite too that's why I wanna make it!

      Haha may be but I was too lazy to make it perfect :p

      Delete
  24. hahaha! Good job Hayley. Still so much better than me, I never thought of making any crepe, I'm so out of talent :p

    ReplyDelete
  25. Made some a couple of weekends ago after my not too good dining experience at Nadeje. Hehehe the hubster trimmed the not so nice edges off before I started layering. Did peanut butter with banana of which I mashed it together with the cream to give it a more even and intense taste.

    Good maiden effort! Keep up the yummy recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  26. hmmm mille crepe need to practice more XD

    practice make perfect hehehe

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts! (But strictly no advertisements please)