Friday, May 16, 2014

The Nutella craze

Hello, I wonder how many Nutella lovers out there? Well, I am surely one of them!
I baked 2 types of cakes with Nutella last and this week and the outcome is simply yummy!

First one, Nutella swirl pound cake.

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
4 large eggs, at room temperature
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 sticks (8 oz / 225 g / 1 cup) unsalted butter, softened
1 1/4 cups sugar (I used 1 cup)
One 13-ounce (350 g) jar Nutella

Steps:
1. Preheat the oven to 325°F (160°C). Lightly grease and flour a 9-by-5-inch loaf pan, tapping out any excess flour.
2. Lightly beat the eggs with the vanilla.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk the 1 1/2 cups of flour with the baking powder and salt.
4. In a large bowl, beat the butter with the sugar at medium-high speed until fluffy.
5. Then gradually beat in the egg mixture until fully incorporated. Add the flour mixture in 3 batches, beating at low speed between additions until just incorporated. Continue to beat for 30 seconds longer.
6. Spread one-third of the batter in the prepared pan, then spread half of the Nutella on top. Repeat with another third of the batter and the remaining Nutella. Top with the remaining batter. Lightly swirl the Nutella into the batter with a butter knife. Do not overmix.
7. Bake the cake for about 1 hour and 15 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let the cake cool in the pan for 15 minutes. Invert the cake onto a wire rack, turn it right side up and let cool completely, about 2 hours. 

Ready to bake!

And the outcome, baked this for my dear mother for Mother's Day! And she loves it! ;)


Next, Nutella cheesecake bars.

Ingredients:
2 cups Oreo crumbs1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
16 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
2 eggs, at room temperature
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon heavy cream
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/3 cup Nutella

Steps:1. Preheat oven to 325F (170C). Butter an 8×8 baking dish and line with parchment paper, making sure that the parchment is well pressed in the corners. Set aside. 
2. In a food processor (I use normal kitchen blender and it works fine too), pulse Oreos until they become crumbs. Add in melted butter and pulse until moistened. Press Oreo mixture evenly into the bottom of your baking dish. Bake crust until set, about 12 minutes. Set aside to cool.
3. Clean out the food processor. Add cream cheese, eggs, sugar, ¼ cup heavy cream, and vanilla. Pulse until smooth. Put 2/3 of the cream cheese mixture in a bowl and set aside.
4. Add Nutella and 1 tablespoon of heavy cream to the remaining 1/3 cream cheese mixture in the processor. Pulse until smooth.
5. To assemble, spread the plain cheesecake mixture over the cooled Oreo crust, being careful of the crust. Then pour the Nutella cheesecake layer on top of the plain cheesecake layer and spread evenly.
6. Bake on the center rack of the oven for about 35 minutes, or until the center jiggles slightly. Remove from the oven and cool completely on a cooling rack. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours.
7. When ready to serve, lift the bars out of the pan by lifting up the parchment paper (it should release easily). Cut into 16 squares and serve.
Oreo crumbs as base

The first cream layer

The second (top) layer with Nutella 

Surface cracked a bit right after I took it out from the oven, but they disappear after cool down

I think the smaller the cube is, the better it taste.

A closer look into my cheesecake bars! Need I say more? Sinfully delicious!!

Above photos taken with my lousy phone so they might not look very tempting but trust me, anything with Nutella taste like heaven!! ^_*

I hope you enjoy reading and may try baking them yourselves! Have fun and I shall see you all next week!

Have a great weekend!!

62 comments:

  1. oh, i love Nutella too!! actually i think i like hazelnut lah, and then when it goes with chocolates, i think they are a perfect match!! but then one jar of Nutella also not cheap, so sometimes i opt for other brands of choc+hazelnut spread to go with my bread lor.. only when got promo then will get Nutella, 我就是那麼的Uncle囉, haha~~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aiyoyo!! look at that Nutella swirl pound cake!! i LOVE it, half way reading already drooling lah, you are so bad.. the pound cake looks moist and delicious.. actually i love any kind of pound cake, the moister the better be it of any flavor.. but this one with Nutella, surely a heaven for me lah.. before you baked it, the mixture really looks like "something" but then after it's baked, look!! so delicious and make people want to eat only.. i can have one whole cake of that no doubt~~ :D

      Delete
    2. but i guess more jialat is this Nutella cheesecake bars lor, @#&%^?!~ sorry ah, hahaha, it looks so delicious to me that i have to say that, kekekeke!! Orea base, cream layer and Nutella layer, so sinful but then so heavenly delicious.. i SUPER LOVE this one.. and yes, you are right, cutting it into bite-size pieces surely more delicious.. one mouth one piece, and i think 不經不覺 i can wallop the whole tray leh, no joke.. i remember last time there's a shop selling all these stuffs, Mrs Fields you heard of?? do we still have that here in Malaysia now?? i always buy a packet and then one shot wallop everything.. and your Nutella cheesecake bars surely makes me do that~~ :D

      Delete
    3. you don't bake often but then once you bake, your cakes all look so nice and delicious.. LIKE!! you really 深藏不露 ah~~

      Delete
    4. Like what SK mention, a jar of Nutella not cheap, so for me, eat less of it, n 小小声said, less exercise, kaka....

      Delete
    5. Yes, hazelnut and chocolate are memang perfect match!
      And right, Nutella is not cheap, I buy it once a while only.

      Haha yea, the pound cake is really yummy, my parents love it!

      Erm, that cheesecake bars is really sinful, I can 'feel' the calories once I put the cube into my mouth, but what to do? It's so yummy and cannot resist leh...

      No la, I am still learning la, where got 深藏不漏 leh!

      Sharon, haha you are so funny!

      Delete
  2. I dun like nutella.. But u really good in baking ~

    ReplyDelete
  3. I go nuts when I eat nutella. So heavenly nice! You are another baking chef from Taiping! How come all Taiping ladies are good chefs?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha~
      I am not baking chef la! Still learning....

      Delete
  4. Wow..I love nutella so much!!

    Too bad, I'm on diet...can't eat much.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. I extremely loves nutella, yummy yummy...

    ReplyDelete
  6. The cakes you baked look absolutely delicious! I seldom get to eat nutella. Yums!

    ReplyDelete
  7. cheesecake look so tempting!
    actually i dislike the taste of nonbake cheese cake
    with baked one always the best!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can i have some pieces, please??!!!

    You make me wanna bake again tomorrow.. hahahaha..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like I've found the substitute for the digestive/Graham biscuits that I use as a crust every time I'm doing cheesecake. ^^ Nutella!!

    I'm not a big fan of Nutella; in fact, I've never eaten it before in my whole life because the 'rents wouldn't allow me to touch it. Not sure why. =O

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea, Nutella! It's a good substitution!

      Delete
  10. Such a sinfully delicious cake! Made me wanna return to baking mode but I'm missing the mojo :p

    I'm gonna jot down the recipe, it will be my next bake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you'll find your baking mojo soon!

      Delete
  11. Wow! Looks good! Will copy your recipe and try! Most kids love Nutella! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. 成品很棒,原来你很厉害做烘培哦!!! =]

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love spreading thick nutella on my bread. Yum yum!

    ReplyDelete
  14. 我不是很爱nutella,觉得很甜,也或许很少吃吧,可能吃了会爱上就不知道哈哈!anyway你这些甜品我很想吃哈哈!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 呵呵,我想你会喜欢咯!;)

      Delete
  15. Eh, I realize when you publish a baking post, there will be surely more than 1 recipe inside wor.. One day bake two types ahh? Both your cakes look so good, I can finish all too.. I love the cheese bars the most!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe, very observant!
      I just think if 1 recipe in a single post then will be a bit too short, so combine 2 recipes lo!

      Delete
  16. YES SAW IT FROM YOUR FB...SIMPLYE YUMMYLICIOUS

    ReplyDelete
  17. YOU'RE THE NEXT BAKING QUEEN IN TAIPING

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, not that kua cheong la dear!

      Delete
  18. The kids in my family love Nutella, I just eat whenever it is available :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Both your two Nutella recipes are sinfully delicious. Since I am on strict training now, I better don't bake this, otherwise I will need to eat most of them myself. I rather wait for Yvonne to bake this and treat me a piece of them enough. How I wish you are still in the same office with us, then I can try your bake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe, yea, if I were still working with you all, sure have no problems finish distributing my baking ;)

      Delete
  20. The 2nd recipe ~ cheesecake bar look so delicious. But my hubby never like cheesecake :(

    ReplyDelete
  21. Omg! The 2nd one looks damn good!! Erm...I shall bake it when I already did some exercise hahahahah

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wah... the Nutella bar made me droooooool!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I want ....yum yum...thanks for the recipe. maybe will try making this during school holiday

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh yummm..I was waiting for your recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Drool!!!

    Will try my hand on it when I regain my taste buds and appetite. Right now everything is either bitter or sweet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh hope everything will be fine with you soon!

      Delete

Share your thoughts! (But strictly no advertisements please)