Sunday, September 7, 2014

Of mooncakes

Snowskin mooncake

Ingredients: 
(Yield about 9 pieces)
- 100g kaofen
- 30g shortening
- 80g icing sugar
- 150ml water
- few drops of vanilla extract
- foo coloring

Fillings:
 - 300g red bean/pandan paste (or other based on your preference)
(I used ready packed paste)

Steps:
1. Sift kaofen and icing sugar together, then add in shortening.
2. Combine water, vanilla extract and coloring in another bowl and add into mixture 1.
3. Mix the dough then divide them to 25g ball, same goes to the filling. 
4. Flatten the dough with palm and wrap the filling inside.
5. Place the dough into the mould (I do not have mould so I just shape them with hands)
6. Place in air tight container and chill in fridge before serving.



The end products =)
This is the second batch actually, the first batch was not very successful.......





I put too much food coloring xD
I think nobody dares to eat also, LOL!


Shanghai mooncake

Ingredients:
(Yield about 8 pieces)
- 300g plain flour
- 40g custard powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 80g icing sugar
- 150g unsalted butter
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 egg

Fillings:
(I used the same red bean paste as above)

Topping:
- some egg wash
- almond chips

Steps:
1. Sift flour, baking powder, custard powder and salt.
2 Sift in icing sugar.
3. Cut in unsalted butter and fold into soft dough.
4. Make a well in the center and add in egg, then combine into soft dough. Let the dough rest for 30 mins.
5. Divide dough into about 50g each and shape into ball.
6. Flatten dough with palm and wrap in the filling, shape it like an egg (In my case, a bit squarish), place on baking tray.
7. Slightly brush the whole mooncake with egg wash and decorate the top (optional).
8. Bake at preheated oven at 180C for 20-25 minutes.





Yummy!


Here wishing all my readers a Happy Mooncake Festival!
中秋节快乐!=)

33 comments:

  1. Wow... you are making moon cakes. For me, I just eat and eat ! Haha....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy mid autumn festival! I like your baked moon cakes. Look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Mooncake Festival to you and all in the family. No snow skin for me. I love the traditional pasty. Those Shanghai ones, I like too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Mooncake Festival to you & family! Wow you make it look so simple but I think it's too much work for me, teehee.. Would just buy it.. Your baked ones look so delicious..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Mooncake Featival to you!!! I like the first one the snowskin one as I don't really like the baking skin one, hehe!! =]

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nobody dare to eat? Give me, I eat XD

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, I am impressed! So no need to buy mooncakes already lah hee..hee..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy mooncake festival..hehehe
    yesterday my mom olso make冰皮。 the skin use dragon fruit to make..XD

    ReplyDelete
  9. 我喜欢冰皮月饼,今年来不及了,食谱收了明年弄,哈哈!!

    中秋节快乐!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hayley, good attempt, your Shanghai mooncakes look great. Snow skin is nice too even though free shape.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have made snow skin mooncakes before. Nice.

    Never tried making shanghai mooncakes. Yours very creative

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! I must give you a big thumb-up for the effort!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good Job on the Shanghai mooncakes, Hayley!
    Yes, like Small Kucing, I have made the Ping Pei before.. easy cos no need to steam or bake... and my kids like them too.. only that the paste is a bit too sweet...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Look nice!!
    Happy mooncake festival!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yummy..i never attempted to make mooncake. Malas punya pasal.

    Wishing you and family a Happy Mid-Autumn Festival.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hayley,祝你中秋节快乐!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy Mid Autumn Festival...

    Used to try making it, but now lazy, didn't make any...

    ReplyDelete
  18. my mum didn't made snow skin mooncakes this year. :P
    happy mid autumn festival!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. 中秋节快乐,月饼也自己做,厉害

    ReplyDelete
  20. The green was really green.. hahaha.. happy mid autumn festival!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Still can wish you happy mid autumn festival, for me it is just like another normal day

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh~ handmade mooncakes! No mould at all, hehehe. A little late, but Happy mid-autumn to you and your family :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hey that looks cool! And small bites i presume? Happy Mid Autumn Hayley!

    ReplyDelete
  24. 中秋節快樂,想吃你做的上海月餅 ;p

    ReplyDelete
  25. Shanghai mooncake I like! You so rajin. Yums!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thank God finally my problem is solve with the help of Dr. Ogbefun who help me with roots and herbs that make me get pregnant after 28days of using the herbs and roots and i only pay for the preparation of parcel he send to me through DHL after i have send him the DHL details he required and i receive the parcel within 3days according to what he told me and to my greatest surprise i received the parcel and the roots and herbs work for me, am now three months pregnant since i use the roots and herbs after been married for the past 19years of no kids but today am so happy am pregnant contact him on miracletemple11@gmail.com for your pregnancy to because this is real and genuine.

    ReplyDelete
  27. mooncakes. guess with your recipe can have mooncakes all year long!

    ReplyDelete


  28. Finding a true love spell was like a nightmare to me,I have paid over $7650 to different spell caster that never work,Until l I meet MAMA ANITA.please if you are looking for a real and fast result love spell then mama anita is the answer,you can contact her now on.....mamaanita.lovespellsolution@gmail.com (mamaanita.lovespellsolution@gmail.com).

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts! (But strictly no advertisements please)